DegreesPh.D., Computer Science (UBC); M.Sc., Computer Science (Queen's University); B.Sc. Honours Math (Queen's University)
ExpertiseAlgorithmic Graph Drawing, Computational Geometry
BiographyPhD. (Comp. Sci.) UBC 1989
MSc. (CS) Queen's U. 1980
B.Sc. (Hons. Math.) Queen's U. 1975
Research InterestsAlgorithmic Graph Drawing and Computational Geometry.
NSERC operating grant since 1989.
Stephen Wismath is a professor of Computer Science whose main area of research interest is the design and analysis of efficient algorithms. In particular, his research focuses on problems in computational geometry (primarily the complexity of visibility of objects in the plane), algorithmic graph theory, and graph drawing (for example, dynamic layouts of graphs in 3 dimensions and lower bounds on such constructions). In addition to complexity issues, he is interested in practical algorithms and he has hired students to implement several tools for researchers in these areas; the resulting packages (GLuskap, VisPak, OrthoPak and ArrangePak) have been widely distributed. Research funding by NSERC is gratefully acknowledged.
Selected Journal Publications:
- T. Biedl, T. Shermer, S. Whitesides, S. Wismath. Bounds for Orthogonal 3-D Graph Drawing. Journal of Graph Algorithms & Applications. 3.4 (1999): 63-79.
- D. Kirkpatrick, S. K. Wismath. Determining Bar-Representability for Ordered Weighted Graphs. Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications. 6.2 (May 1996): 99-122.
- M.Keil, D. Mount and S. K. Wismath. Visibility Stabs and Depth-first Spiraling on Line Segments in Output Sensitive Time. International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications. 10.5 (2000): 535-552.
- S. Wismath, Point and Line Segment Reconstruction from Visibility Information. International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications. 10.2 (2000): 189-200.
- M. Closson, S. Gartshore, J. Johansen and S. K. Wismath. Fully Dynamic Three-Dimensional Orthogonal Graph Drawing.
Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications. 5.2 (2001): 1-34.
- Jackson, L.; Wismath, S.,Orthogonal Polygon Reconstruction from Stabbing Information,
Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 69-83, July 2002.
- Felsner, S.; Liotta, G.; Wismath, S.; Straight-Line Drawings on Restricted Integer Grids in Two and Three Dimensions;
Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications, Vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 363-398, 2003.
- Bose, J.; Everett, H.; Wismath, S.; Properties of Arrangement Graphs, Int. J. of Computational Geometry and Applications 13, No. 6, Dec. 2003, pp. 447--462.
- DiGiacomo, E; Didimo, W.; Liotta, G.; Wismath, S.;
Curve-constrained drawings of planar graphs;
Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications,
Vol 30, No. 1, Jan. 2005, pp. 1--23.
- Di Giacomo, Didimo, Liotta, Wismath;
Book Embeddability of Series-Parallel Digraphs;
Algorithmica, Vol 45, No. 4, Aug. 2006, pp. 531--547.
- Drawing K_n in Three Dimensions with One Bend per Edge ;
O. Devillers, H. Everett, S. Lazard, M. Pentcheva, S. Wismath;
Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications, Vol 10, No. 2, pp. 287-295, 2006.
- k-colored Point-set Embeddability of Outerplanar Graphs ;
Di Giacomo, Didimo, Liotta, Meijer, Trotta, Wismath;
Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications, Vol 12, No. 1, pp. 29--49, 2008.
- Universal Sets of n Points for 1-bend Drawings of Planar Graphs with n Vertices;H. Everett, S. Lazard, G. Liotta, S. Wismath;
Discrete and Computational Geometry
Vol 43, No. 2, March 2010, pp. 272--288.
- Constrained Point-Set Embeddability of Planar Graphs;
Di Giacomo, Didimo, Liotta, Meijer, Wismath;
Int. J. of Computational Geometry and Applications Vol. 20, Issue 5, Oct. 2010, pp. 577-600.
- On Point-sets that Support Planar Graphs;
V. Dujmovic, W. Evans, S. Lazard, W. Lenhart, G. Liotta, D. Rappaport, S. Wismath;
Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications
Vol. 46, Issue 1, pp. 29--50, Jan. 2013.
- Point-set Embedding in Three Dimensions
H. Meijer, S. Wismath;
Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications, Vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 243--257 (2015)
Current Research and Creative Activity
|Title||Location||Grant Information||Principal Investigator||Co Researchers|
|Algorithmic Graph Drawing||Lethbridge||
NSERC (National Science and Engineering Research Council), $14,000 per year, 2011-16.
||Stephen Wismath, U. of Lethbridge|